Sunday, May 11, 2014

Day Seven...Travel to TN

Made an early start to the morning, as I headed to Nashville, TN!!!  As you can imagine, I was a BIT excited!!!  I've wanted to go to Nashville for as long as I could remember.

Before leaving South Carolina, I stop in Columbia, the capital, as I had never been there before.  After getting lost (on purpose of course!) I found myself by the USC (South Carolina that is, not Southern California!)  It is a neat area of  brick buildings that had been polished up and turned into another Starbucks! 

Then came the drive into North Carolina.  I could tell almost immediately the change in scenery...well that and the hills present in North Carolina!  The drive to Asheville was absolutely stunning.  What was even neater was I took that trip by bus 4 years ago.  Circumstances then were quite different and I was struck with overwhelming gratitude for the opportunity to take this trip now.

I did a QUICK stop in Ashville, because I arrived at lunch time.  It was an absolute zoo, so I by passed eating at my fave restaurant, the Laughing Seed.  Now I am definitely a Carnivore.  I have never felt the need, nor do I expect to in the future, to become Vegan.  However, if I could eat like they serve at the Laughing Seed on a daily bases, maybe...

So I continued into Tennessee.  Which Brings me to my disclaimer.  I am not a Photographer.  Most times, I forget to even take pictures altogether.  So if you really want to know what I'm gushing over, you'll have to go see it!  But I will post what I can.






I quickly found myself in the Smokey Mountains.  Even if the rest of the trip sucks, the drive thru Foothill Parkway made it all worth it.  I had the road to myself, wind blowing through the windows, and tunes on the radio.  Absolutely stunning.  And then...

Gatlinburg.  Now for those of you who do not know of Gatlinburg...It really can't be explained.  I've heard it described as the Myrtle Beach of the Sky.  It is the place were families can go for vacation, and find every kind of entertainment known to man.  Of course I went with a restaurant recommendation, the Pancake Pantry.  I didn't think that would be too hard to find.  But that was before I knew that Gatlinburg is Pancake House mecca of the world.  There was practically one on every corner!!!



As I exited Gatlinburg, I entered Pidgeon Forge.  Pidgeon Forge is like Gatlinburg, just not quite as polished.  Now let me just say, I really enjoyed the Smokey Mountains and the drive through Foothill Parkway, however, I have no desire to return to this part of the world.  I even passed up Dollywood in my attempt to Escape!

But I made it out.  And I continued on my route until I finally arrived.  Nashville, TN!!!  Oh how I have longed for this!  My dear friend Lauren (who is an amazing photographer and part inspiration for this trip altogether!) lives in Nashville, and I knew there would be no one better to tour the town with. 

We started with dinner.  Can't remember the name because I don't every recall seeing a sign.  We walked in a big door covered with to wood and found mismatched tables and chairs, Christmas lights throughout the restaurant, books on the bar, figurines galore...and it was FABULOUS!!!  We sat down at the bar, and as soon as we put in our order, a band arrived and started playing.  While we stuffed our faces (of course the food was amazing) I learned that I was right when I new I would LOVE Nashville.



We finished up and headed to Broadway, which is the major downtown strip for music.  It is AMAZING!  Just walking down the street we could hear the music pouring out of the clubs.  It was like changing the radio station at each new club.  We went to Roberts and WOW!  There was this kid on lead guitar.  He just graduation high school.  He was AMAZING!  I just stood there staring...I think my mouth may have dropped open a few times. 



My favorite part...after that band finished, we headed to another place to hear more music.  I think I'm going to LOVE Nashville!


No comments:

Post a Comment